6 years flying in Indonesia

1. Jerry TILLEY says:

I can sympathize entirely…..stay in the same job or is it time to change…..we have all been through that. And the constant boom/bust cycle for pilot recruitment has never helped either. There will come a time when you know that you have had enough, until then keep flying there and enjoying FUN flying. Many of us are envious of your job because it puts the FUN into flying again. We look forward to more posts (and videos) until you decide that it is time to move on !!

Smooth landings. !

• Matt Dearden says:

Thanks Jerry! Aviation can be a cruel mistress that’s for sure and I think many pilots move along thinking the next job is the one but then regretting that move a few months down the line and moving on again. I don’t want to fall into that trap as I still enjoy what I do, so will keep enjoying it and sharing my adventures with you all 🙂

2. steve says:

Matt,

Thanks for your innermost thoughts. Allow me to share with you that I’m 48 and have almost figured out what I want to be in life (LOL but true), but I do know that I enjoy what I currently do. I don’t make millions from doing it, but I do enjoy it.

Less than 20% of those who are gainfully working can say what you & I have said, “I still enjoy it”, that is your inner guidance telling you what you need to know, listen closely to it, it will guide you without conviction and most of all, do not 2nd question, this is YOUR inner guidance (gut feeling), it’s not ever wrong.

On another more selfish note, part of me is living vicariously through your musings, and will indeed miss it when you choose for it to end, but given the fact I did not indulge in my innermost desire at a much earlier time, to become a commercial pilot at 48, it’s not impossible but more outside the realm of life for me (working towards my gyrocopter license at the moment), so I admit, I quite enjoy the blog.

Final thoughts Matt, stay on for another 6-mos or year, but evaluate continually, I say that as your inner guidance has been speaking to you and has asked you to start giving pause to evaluate a next step, you have listened and posted accordingly.

Carpe Punctum, (seize the moment!) and safe travels Matt.

Cheers,
    Steve

• Matt Dearden says:

Wise words Steve and I know exactly what you mean about that “gut feeling”. The last time I ignored it on a big decision about 10 years ago, and went with the logical choice, I instantly regretted it. I won’t make that mistake again! If something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. I will certainly keep my eye out for a new adventure though whilst still enjoying the current one.

Good luck on the gyrocopter license and glad to hear you’ve also found a job you enjoy.

Cheers

Matt

3. Linda says:

Congrats! It is a privilege to be able to live a dream and yes, sometimes you just need to follow your heart (gut feeling)! It is fine to stay in a comfort zone but don’t be afraid of stepping out occasionally as each time you manage to do that, you will expand the comfort zone a little at a time. Enjoy the moment and keep the enjoyable things coming…. Safe landings!

Cheers
    Linda

• Matt Dearden says:

Thanks Linda. Whilst I didn’t coin that phrase about comfort zones, I’ve always strived to keep expanding mine. Life would be boring if you kept doing the same thing!

4. sysca says:

Hello Matt,

Nice blog, thanks for sharing. Already fluent in indonesian ?

Terimakasih,
    Siska.

• Matt Dearden says:

Makasih! Ya, saya bisa bahasa Indonesia. Sudah lama disini 🙂

• sysca says:

iya pasti sdh mahir .. klo begitu, sy mau tulisnya dlm bhs indonesia saja ya. sy suka blognya, foto2 dari udara menginspirasi utk mjd pilot atau sekadar jd penumpang..betapa pekerjaan yg menyenangkan dan menantang.wish you all the best Captain.

Salam.

5. Stephen Wally says:

I wrote a couple of song in an album called PACENOGEI (“Pace” means father or in popular brother, while “Nogei” in Me Tribe Paniai means friend) consists 7 songs. PACENOGEI’s songs are composed in a wide spectrum of musical genres, ballad, rock, folk, dance, and ethnic. This album is dedicated for the childrens education and healthcare in Papua. Sponsored and produced by ALENIA productions we are very happy to give you our CD as a souvenier for your beautiful pictures and work as a pilot in Papua. My best regards. Stephen Wally