Four years in Indonesia – Part 2

1. Thanks for your story 🙂 Looking forward for more updates about your bush flying experience with the fabulous Porter. Hope you have safe and fun flights 😉

2. thefruitbar says:

Hey Matt, what kind of pilot’s licence do you need for a job like yours? I’m guessing a CPL?

• Matt Dearden says:

Yes you do need a CPL to do commercial flying such as this. Our company also insists on pilots having an instrument rating too as the weather can require flying in IMC at times.

• tkl89 says:

Hi Matt,

what is the average minimum hours required for someone to do bush flying? (considering one has a CPL, IR, ME, MCC, CFI) and do they prefer FAA or EASA?

• Matt Dearden says:

I can only speak for the company I work for here in Indonesia which is an ICAO approved CPL with instrument rating (e.g. FAA, EASA, CASA etc.). Not sure what the minimum hours are now; there wasn’t one when I joined. Take a look at this blog for more details: http://susiairinterview.blogspot.com/

3. Bobtek says:

Kegata looks like a tougher version of Lukla 😉
    i loved reading your story, this is making flying one of my favourite dreams

• Matt Dearden says:

Cheers Bobtek! I reckon Lukla looks more like an airstrip here in Papua called Mulia which has a similar slope to it and is asphalt. I sometimes go to it but it’s usually visited by Caravans, Twin Otters or PC-12s.

4. Hello Matt, I saw your video courtesy of FlightAware then surfed over to your blog. I have been an avgeek for 50 years and you are truly living the dream. Well done you, and savour the days, young man. You will certainly have many, many thrilling tales to tell when grandchildren come along! Fly safe and I will check in from time to time. PK

• Matt Dearden says:

Cheers Paul, I certainly will continue to savour my days out here! I’m hoping this blog will serve to remind me of the adventures although there are a few things I can’t put online just yet. I’ll save those for the book ;o)

A little break in the LRJT fuel planning ATPL syllabus….You are truly fueling the dream Matt. Thanks for taking the time to share all this, be safe and keep exploring.

Vincent

6. Scott Berry says:

Wow Matt, I just can’t stop reading this blog! Very cool and thanks so much for taking the time to write about it. Well written too.

Godspeed,
    Scott

7. DunCAN says:

Hi Matt,
    All going well I will be heading to papua in the New Year to fly a C208. Loving the videos and posts, they give a good look at the flying, thanks.
    Might see you up there sometime

8. I am Indonesian and have never been to Papua! And I never know that a pilot’s blog can be this enjoyable. Thank you for sharing some challenging parts of Papua. Have a save flight!

As and Indonesian I really glad that you have alot of fun in our country, And adore our country so much 😀
    I’ve a little bit question for you matt, is there any contract bond in Susi? especially when you fly Porter?
    What usually your friend do after fly Porter? is there any chance to go work on the jet airliners without having jet time, just high TT?
    If the question too personal you can ignore it 🙂