DC-3/C-47 Gremlin Special crash site, 1945

1. Smallo says:

Superb Mattie. Wish I had been there with ya bro!

2. sue says:

That must have been a very rewarding experience. I guess you can now add explorer to you c.v.. Did you take video footage of your expedition and are you going to make it into a small movie for your blogs?

3. Robert says:

Hi Matt, that all sounded like quite an arduous trek to the crash site. After so many decades it’s truly amazing that the plane has remained relatively ‘untouched’. Thank you for the book recommendation. I’ll go out and get it right away! I was wondering if you have read “Green Armour” by Osmar White? It mostly covers the WWII New Guinea / Kokoda Track Campaign in 1942. Before the author went with the troops to report on the fighting, he and a friend went on a journey through the jungles and over the mountains to the west of “The Track.” It’s very descriptive.

4. Hello there
    I was working on the island of Bougainville 1972. We often chartered a plane from Kieta to visit other parts of the island. One was Buin to the south.Buin briefly attained worldwide attention when on 18 April 1943 an aircraft carrying Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, then on a tour of forward bases, was shot down near there. We tracked into the jungle to see the wreck of the plane which surprisingly was still undisturbed. Somewhere among my slides I still have pictures. Your DC3 story reminded me of that.
    I am from UK but for the last 10 years have opened and still running a guest house her in Cape Town called Loloho Lodge the area in Bougainville where I was then working helping to build the power station for the Panguna Copper Mine.

5. Dean says:

Fascinating photos and post, Matt. I’ve just read the book and would love to explore the area via Google Earth. Can you place a link to the exact coordinates within your post? I found Zuckoff’s coordinates to be incorrect or inaccurate.

6. JD says:

Cheers! Read the book and fell upon your account via my own pinpointing, papertrail, maps and accounts. Even sitting here comfortably, am able to participate, understand and enjoy these works and experiences.

Pleasure to read other comments following as well, per enthusiasts – ‘nerds’ – such as myself.
    I’m glad I read first, researched my own next and arrived here last in perfect order.
    Much thanks, genuinely appreciated!

7. Rajeev says:

Great tour Sir. I have read the book more than twice and it’s an epic. Just imagine what those survivors and later the rescue team has undergone. Thank you very much for those snaps which helped to imagine the trauma undergone by the three survivors .. Kudos

8. Barry says:

Great stuff Matt. I’m reading Mitchell Zuckoff’s book Lost in Shangri-La.now and wondered what the wreckage would look like now. Totally fascinating!

9. Craig Wesley Rimer JD says:

This is all wonderful, but what are the coordinates for the AOI ?