Moving about and visiting friends

1. Hi Matt,
    Thanks for this amazing blog. I have been diagnosed with APMD (Acute Porter Modeling Disorder), for which there is no cure. I am building 2 remote control Porters simultaneuously.
    I am doing the Susi Air paint scheme on one of them and figure, in honor of this amazing blog, I would use the registration number of your favorite Porter if you have one.
    I will maiden her on skis because it is winter in Montreal right now, she will get her wheels back in the spring.
    Few people realize that this is real flying. Flying a big shiny airliner jet is more like driving a bus. This stuff requires skill, careful planning and rapid decision making, day in , day out.
    Thank for the awesome videos, it is most inspiring. Keep them coming! Happy holidays.
    Olivier Damiron
    Montreal, Canada

• Matt Dearden Matt Dearden says:

Hi Olivier,

I too am building an R/C Porter model at the moment although I’ve still got a long way to go! It’s only an electric park flyer type but should hopefully look and fly well when it’s done.

PK-BVT is the one I’ve got the most hours in and holds a soft spot for me as the first Porter I soloed in the mountains of Papua with.

Cheers

• Awesome! BVT it shall be then. Too cold to do any flying at all here right now, temps between -10 and -20 C all the time so plenty of time to build! When the weather relaxes a bit, something above -10, I will attempt to fly on skis. I have an electric kit from Multiplex, a foamie that I am painting to Susi Air colors. I will put a blog together and send you the link so you can see the pictures and hopefully disaster free videos! Been flying quadcopters for a few years so my fixed wing skills are probably very poor at the moment! Cheers,

2. Simon G says:

15 years ago when we met as University freshers in Southampton I would never in my wildest dreams have believed that Matt, the archetypal computer science student (can I say geek? ;-)), would one day be flying me over the Papuan Jungle, soaring high over imposing peaks and ridges, threading down steep winding valleys and landing on impossibly short bumpy and slippery landing strips.

In reality, the hills, valleys and strips are steeper, more enclosed and more imposing than a camera could ever convey. If it looks exciting and inspiring on this blog, it is and more in reality. The skill and professionalism required to safely negotiate these Porter runs is also striking at first hand. There is no room for error out there!

We were also very privileged to witness the vital service that these flights provide to the village tribes in modern day Papua. Meeting the locals was exciting and humbling and through Matt’s seemingly fluent Bahasa, they did their best to answer my, probably ignorant, first world questions!

So it took 5 flights to get from Edinburgh to Papua and there was always a risk that Matt’s constantly changing schedule would see us on a wild goose chase around Indonesia, but in the end it was worth every one of the hours sat in a cramped seat on a skybus at 37000ft.

What is ‘just the day job’ for a Porter pilot was a once in a lifetime experience for me and one i’ll never forget.

Thanks buddy.

• Matt Dearden Matt Dearden says:

Touching words there bud. And I’m so glad it all worked out for Gill and you to come out here to experience my life. I certainly wouldn’t have guessed I’d be out here when we met at uni all those years ago and I’m still a geek at heart although more of a Porter geek these days ;o)

Hi Matt,

I’m an aspiring bush pilot/great fan of your indopilot blog!

I would like to ask you about your experience starting out your modular training from PPL, and then moving on to IR, CPL/MEIR before you went on to Indonesia to fly professional.

Did you do your modular training sequentially like, e.g clearing your PPL first before clearing Instrument Rating..and then moving on to CPL and finally MEIR rating. Would you have any tips to share on how I should space my training out or if there were anything u would do differently if you had to train modularly, again?

pilotjames

• Matt Dearden Matt Dearden says:

Hi James,

If I knew that I’d end up bush flying for a living, I’d probably have not even bothered with the JAA/EASA license and gone for the (much easier and cheaper) FAA option. However, this was the order I did things in over three years or so:

– PPL
      – ATPL theory + the odd bit of private flying to keep my hand in
      – Hour building in the UK from Bristol airport where I was to do my CPL
      – IR/ME
      – CPL
      – MCC

I reckon that worked out pretty well for me and don’t think I would have done it any other way really.

Cheers

4. Unknown says:

Saw you on the TV show. Having been overseas myself, I’m sure it was great to have some visitors. Continued success in your career, and I hope I get to stay in touch via the posts. God Bless! -joe

5. jelvin says:

hello Matt, thanks for amazing blog