Doufu

1. Jon Grace says:

Hi ya Matt,

Hope you’re well mate!!! Great to read another great post. I always love reading about the airstrips you use, and I must say the word airstrips is used lightly. You’re a braver man then me. On another note, I know you are a keen collector of watches, and you own like me a Breitling Emergency E76321. Have you see the mark 2 model? See attached youtube video.

Rumours have it that the watch will retail for $15000. A little steep in my opinion, so I will be sticking to my E76321 for a little while yet.

Take care mate and save flying.
    Jon

• Matt Dearden Matt Dearden says:

Yeah I have seen the new one but I think it would be far too big for my skinny wrists, and that’s before considering it’s asking price(!) Amazing they got a 406MHz transmitter into something (almost) watch sized though :o)

2. lionel priam says:

bonjour matt,

nice videos on Vimeo !
    seems that you are having a lot of fun 🙂

take care

Lionel

3. Ben says:

Hey Matt,
    What a great blog!! Ive enjoyed browsing your posts. Im a jealous pilot!
    If you havent seen it already, you should check out a community that has started for “oddball pilots.” Youre flying career fits in great, and lots of people would love to have you there. Check it out!
    oddballpilot.com
    &
    oddballpilot.net

Keep the go-pro vids coming. Awesome
    Cheers
    Ben

Matt Hello, Odd landing & T/off technique (you prefer to land long & flat – T/Off not lift tail & not use full length available?). Be interesting to see altimeter on some of the strips – if it was me would buy a wind sock for each but suppose the locals turn them into lap laps? Hope your survival gear goes beyond short sleeve shirt? Prefer the Beaver all day but without the hills thanks…. All the best Cheers Arthur

• Matt Dearden Matt Dearden says:

The GoPro videos do tend to make approaches look a lot flatter than in reality. With the Porter a steeper approach is preferred, especially with surrounding terrain.

If an airstrip is rocky then I will pick the tail up (as mentioned in the above article) and use a little extra runway. Airfield elevations range from 0 – 9000ft here in Papua; I list them under any article I write on a specific airstrip: http://indopilot.blogspot.com/p/papua.html

Some airstrips already have windsocks thanks mainly to MAF who do a lot of work on airstrip management with the locals.

All our aircraft have a full survival kit on board including blankets in case of being stranded at higher elevations. Never flown the Beaver but do enjoy the sound of good radial!

5. Hasrul Azis says:

Hi Matt, my name is Hasrul. i was from mulia,papua
    when i was little kid i really want to fly like a bush pilot. i just finished my CPL IR a month ago so i want to join susi air company, should i go to pangandaran to submit my CV?
    this is my email hasrullahazis@gmail.com

many thanks