Maintenance flight

1. gerald sam says:

Nice flying trip matt

• Matt Dearden says:

I always enjoy something a little different. It’s about a long a trip as I do these days thankfully. Long ferry flights in the Porter aren’t much fun with it’s lack of autopilot and rock hard seat!

Great post Matt!! – again.
    In free time, could you write something about your preparing for long fly?

Thanks a lot
    Luke

• Matt Dearden says:

Hi Luke,

As and when I have to do a long ferry, I’ll write a more detailed post up about it. Basically it’s just the same as doing a PPL Nav Ex flight. You get a chart out, work out a decent route, consider diversion airfields and en route refuel airfields. Check the wx the day before and go do it!

3. ha ga says:

hi
    the people that hop on enroute do they get a free ride or discount? I assume they havent booked in advance

• Matt Dearden says:

Any pax we pick up on a dead leg who just show up at the airstrip for a flight are charged the going rate which is $10 per 0.1hrs flight time. In this case that worked out at $80 per person. How and where they get that sort of cash from in the middle of the jungle, I’ve not figured out yet!

Hello Matt,

Firstly I thought I’d just say what a great blog this is. Thoroughly enjoying it!

I had a quick question and I thought there’s a chance you might be able to give me some advice.

My dream job is to become a Bush Pilot somewhere in Asia or Africa, flying Pilatus or Caravans around. In fact pretty much what you are currently doing 🙂

I’m in the process of doing my CPL in England. Once complete I’m intending to do the Single Engine IR.

I just wondered if you think it’s worth me doing the Multi Engine CPL / IR ( at a lot of extra cost ), if Bush flying is ultimately what I’m aiming for? Do you ever actually use the Multi yourself out there, or even manage to stay current for that matter, if you already have it?

Anyway, apologies for the boring question and please do keep up the blog! It’s great 🙂

Tim

• Matt Dearden says:

Hi Tim, I’ve not flown a multi-engined aircraft for nearly four years now and don’t have any current ratings. I’ll probably renew them before they fully expire though as you never know what the future might hold.

Ultimately, for most bush flying jobs you’re flying VFR in a single engine aircraft but it’s nice to know I have the fall back of that ME/IR should my circumstances suddenly change in the future.

Hi Matt,

Thanks a lot for the response & the info.

My CPL & money haemorrhaging all start next week 😉 With this Bush Flying in mind, I think I will stick with the SE/IR route for now.

Good luck with all the flying out there!

Tim