Ilaga

Why do those people have automatic weapons? Is it dangerous there?

Andrius

• Matt Dearden says:

It’s not usually dangerous to us pilots. The fighting is usually between one of the local separatist movements and the Indonesian military and police forces. If there are any reports of fighting in a particular area, we will suspect all flights to airstrips in that area until it is made safe again. Sometimes this can take months which can be very hard on the local people who are effectively cut-off once air transport stops.

May I point out Ilaga is not in West Papua? The province of West Papua is the Bird’s Head area (Kaimana, Babo, Fak-Fak, Sorong, Manokwari, Wasior). The remainder of Indonesian New Guinea is the province of Papua.

Dear Matt, i follow your blog everyweek and i am always looking for new updates, also your pictures are amazing as i am a great ocean/jungle lover. I am an “old” CPL pilot and if you have time and will i would like to ask you some questions about Susi Air! Please email me at: cobrocci@gmail.com

Riccardo

4. Matt!!
    firstly your blog it’s just great. I am a young pilot from poland with experience on Cessna 206 soloy turbine, I have some questions to you, I’ll be glad if you mail me at : mierzejewski65@o2.pl

Regards
    Łukasz M.

Hi Matt, just subscribed. Great photos and fascinating blog! I’ll be in Papua soon (and have flown Susi in the past around the highlands) I would be really grateful if you’d drop me a line. Quick question! Cheers
    ATB

papuatrans@gmail.com

Hi Matt, do you enjoy flying the 208 Caravan or the Pilatus PC-6 more?

• Matt Dearden says:

Easy question, PC-6!

• Anonymous says:

Why do you like the PC-6 more? By the way, I used to live in Timika but then my family and I moved to Jayapura. I really loved it in Timika.

• Matt Dearden says:

The PC-6 can land on pretty much anything you dare to call an airstrip. I enjoy the challenge of operating into and out of such airstrips. The PC-6 also has a much better rate of climb than the C208 which is very useful when flying into and out of steeply sided valleys.

When i grow up I would like to fly the Porter in Papua.